Considering an Abortion
Pregnancy itself may already be daunting enough as it is, much less if it was unplanned or unexpected. In such cases, having an abortion may be a possible solution to consider. However, making that decision may not be easy. While an abortion in Singapore under qualified hands is safe and effective, the procedure is still considered a major event that should be well thought through beforehand.
Is an abortion right for you?
Abortion is generally available in Singapore regardless of reason, marital status or age; so the choice often boils down to personal choice.
If you struggle to make the decision on your own, having trusted people around you for support and getting professional advice from health professionals can help to clear up misconceptions about abortion you may have, as well as find out more about the procedure, in order to help you make a well-informed decision in a timely manner.
Why do women choose abortion?
Reasons are varied, and they include:
- The pregnancy was unexpected, usually due to the lack of birth control or the (less common) failure of contraception (including emergency contraception, especially if taken too late)
- The woman does not want children, or more children, at this point in her life
- The woman is in an abusive relationship, or got pregnant from a traumatic event (e.g. rape)
- The woman’s health is in danger due to the pregnancy
- The foetus has been found with serious birth defects, and will either not survive or have a poor quality of life after being born
Who should I talk to when considering an abortion?
Besides seeking help from trusted family and friends, or a counsellor, you can also choose to speak to an experienced OBGYN and abortion surgeon to receive sound medical advice within a private and supportive environment. Look for an accredited abortion clinic with caring professionals who will provide you with accurate information, a safe and well-equipped facility, and who will support you no matter what decision you make.
What are the types of abortion procedures?
Abortion procedure has two primary types, as follows:
- Medical abortion – This procedure uses a pill called misoprostol to induce uterine contractions that expels pregnancy tissues. The process is similar to a miscarriage and will require no anaesthesia or surgery (but can be quite painful due to the heavy cramping). It can be performed only during the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Surgical abortion – This refers to the surgical removal of pregnancy tissues from the womb. Depending on the length of pregnancy, a surgical abortion may be done via vacuum aspiration or dilation and evacuation (D&E). This process is an extremely safe and well-established one, not to mention not painful, due to it taking place under anaesthesia.
When to finally make a decision?
While it isn’t good to make a hasty decision, one also cannot afford to take a long time
before making a decision, because time is of the essence when it comes to abortion. With
every passing week, the pregnancy advances and an abortion become slightly riskier and more
complex to perform.
At W GYNAE Women’s Clinic, we understand that facing an unplanned pregnancy can be stressful. This is why our medical team is here to provide you with all the evidence-based information and dedicated support that you need.